Skip to main content




Cabernet Franc

DOC Collio

  • The wine

    Cabernet Franc is very widespread in Friuli-Venezia Giulia. As already mentioned, it is a grape variety of French origin like the more famous Cabernet Sauvignon, but much less known than the latter and above all much more difficult to find vinified in purity.

Technical information

Alcool in vol. %

12,5%

Total acidity ‰

5,6

Harvest

The grapes of our Cabernet Franc DOC Collio, Friuli, were hand picked and de-stemmed on 22th September 2017.

Vinification | Aging

Subsequently they were macerated for 8 days at a temperature of 24°C. Post- fermentation, 80% of the wine aged in stainless steel vats for 14 months and the remaining 20% in 7.5 hl barrels.

Bottling

The wine was blended and bottled in mid-November 2018.

Emotional information

Color

Cabernet Franc wine has an intense ruby red colour.

Nose

The bouquet, overall fruity with notes of small red fruits (blueberries, currants, raspberries), is characterised by the spicy (black pepper, liquorice) and herbaceous nuances typical of this variety, particularly the unique notes of rocket, pepper and mown grass.

Palate

In the mouth it is full-bodied, medium alcoholic and tannic but soft and enveloping. A lively freshness is given above all by the characteristic herbaceous flavour of rocket. As it matures it gradually loses its acidity and youthful vegetal component to evolve into balsamic notes and spicy hints. A discreet persistence is consistent in the flavours with the bouquet perceived on the nose.

To be paired with

Ideal with roasts, game, rich red meat, and mature hard cheeses.

Serving temperature

18/20°C

Aging potential

over 10 years

The wine

A progenitor of the better-known Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc also has its origins in Bordeaux and is used mainly in ‘Bordeaux-style’ blends to give roundness and smoothness to wines, while in purity it is more difficult to find as it has a very complex herbaceous component to manage.

However, in the hands of an expert winemaker, this grape can give excellent results, offering an elegant and velvety wine, less tannic than Cabernet Sauvignon, with a charm all its own linked mainly to the particularity and uniqueness of its fruity bouquet with herbaceous (rocket above all) and spicy overtones.

The Vine and the Grapevine

The vineyard

Cabernet Franc is very widespread in Friuli-Venezia Giulia. As already mentioned, it is a grape variety of French origin like the more famous Cabernet Sauvignon, but much less known than the latter and above all much more difficult to find vinified in purity.

Our Cabernet Franc vineyards are located within the Collio DOC area.

Bottles size

  • cabernet

    Classic

    0,75l Bottle
  • cabernet

    Magnum

    1,5L bottle

Iscriviti alla Newsletter

Venica & Venica Di Gianni Venica e C. S.S. Società Agricola

Location Cerò 8 34070 Dolegna del Collio (Go)
 (+39) 0481 61264
 info@venica.it  wine.resort@venica.it

The shop is open Monday to Saturday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
On Saturdays in January, the shop will be closed.

Wines


"Venica & Venica
is VIVA certified

Venica & Venica Di Gianni Venica e C. S.S. Società Agricola

Location Cerò 8 34070 Dolegna del Collio (Go)
 (+39) 0481 61264
 info@venica.it  wine.resort@venica.it

The shop is open Monday to Saturday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
On Saturdays in January, the shop will be closed.

Subscribe to Newsletter

"Venica & Venica
is VIVA certified

© Venica&Venica. All rights reserved. P.I. IT00492040316