Viniculture: Venica a truly sustainable business reality
It is a great satisfaction for Venica & Venica to have the Regional Councillors for Productive Activities and Tourism and for Agri-food Resources, Dr. Sergio Emidio Bini and Dr. Stefano Zannier, visiting the company.
Dolegna del Collio, 22 April – Since 1930, the Venica & Venica winery has represented a solid reality, in a harmonious and synergic relationship with Collio, an entrepreneurial activity that is at the top of the wine and food and also hospitality sector in Friuli Venezia Giulia.
This was commented by the regional councillors for Productive Activities and Tourism and for Agri-food Resources on their visit to the Venica & Venica winery and wine resort in the locality of Cerò in Dolegna del Collio, also underlining the company’s profile of authentic sustainability, which since 2006 has installed photovoltaic panels to produce energy and hot water and since 2019 has been drawing up a sustainability report.
It was in 1985 that the first nucleus of the agriturismo opened, today transformed into an elegant “wine resort” immersed in the countryside, among the hills of Collio with the Julian Pre-Alps in the background and not far from the border with Slovenia. The Cerò farmhouse was purchased in 1930 by a young sharecropper, Daniele Venica, progenitor of what was to become one of the oldest wine families in Friuli. It was his son, Adelchi, who began in 1972 to sell his wine directly on the premises and then the turning point came with Gianni Venica, born in 1956, who began to apply white wine-making: in 1977 Venica & Venica’s whites and reds were bottled for the first time. The 1980s were the time of the export boom, first Germany and immediately afterwards the United States, countries that still represent the strong points of the Cero’ winemakers.
Venica & Venica currently owns 40 hectares of vineyards, all of which are located in the Collio DOC area, and produces between 280 and 310 thousand bottles a year, depending on the season and the harvest, 85% of which are white wines (Ronco delle Mele and Toblar among the most awarded and appreciated) and the remaining 15% reds (from Merlot to Schioppettino). Market shares, in the Horeca sector alone, are distributed 55% in Italy and 45% abroad, mainly Germany, the United States, the rest of Europe and Asia, from Japan to Korea. ARC/EP/gg
Article from “Trieste Prima”, NEWS FROM THE COUNCIL | Autonomous Region Friuli Venezia Giulia